Make sure you get the right amount of credit due you. If your tax return is being prepared at a Voluntary Income Tax Assistance (VITA) site or someone else, to expedite the process, take the following with you to your preparer:
· A valid driver’s license or other photo id card
· Social security cards, a social security number verification letter or the ITIN, individual taxpayer identifying number, for all persons listed on the return
· Birth dates for all persons listed on return
· All income statements: Forms W-2 and 1099, Social Security, unemployment, and other statements, such as pensions, stocks, interest and any documents showing taxes withheld. If you run a business or farm, records of all income earned.
· All records of expenses, such as tuition, mortgage interest or real estate taxes. If you run a business or farm, records of all related expenses will be needed.
· Copies of last year’s state and federal tax returns, if you have them
· Bank routing numbers and account numbers to direct deposit any refund
· Dependent child care information: name and address of who you paid and either the caretaker’s SSN or other tax identification number
· Both spouses to sign forms to e-file (electronically file) a joint tax return
To find a VITA site, a free tax return preparation near you, go to www.irs.gov/Individuals/Free-Tax-Return-Preparation-for-You-by-Volunteers or 211 or 311 depending on the community in which you live.
Don’t leave much needed money on the table in 2015!